Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Yoga for Cyclists - A Must-Have Workshop for the Avid Cyclist

For those of you who currently have that 'big' bike ride coming up, the Charity Ride that you're doing fundraising for, that Fondo or bike race you've been training all these months for, or simply that daily commute to work by bicycle, there is nothing more that can benefit your body than Yoga to alleviate and/or prevent cycling related aches and pains and potential injuries.  Yoga is the one thing that I can attribute my overall improvement on my body and health when it comes to my cycling.  Since starting Yoga about 5 months ago due to a cycling related injury, I have noticed a significant amount of improvement on my mobility and ability to get on and off the saddle with a lot more ease and a lot less pain. This has translated to longer pain-free rides which will be of great benefit for my future plans.

 I am extremely new to Yoga, and at first I had so much doubt whether it would be beneficial for me, but now I am convinced that it only makes me feel better and healthier.  I am now a believer and will continue to be so.  As I continue with my practice, I will be updating this blog with my progress and keep you all posted on the transformations I am seeing.  I am seeing some wonderful things and you should know about it.


Yoga for Cyclists.  A Yatra Yoga Studio Workshop
A workshop at YatraYoga Studio in Burnaby has been specifically designed for the cyclist in mind and is intended for the avid cyclist of all levels.

Beginning Saturday, June 1st - July 6th (2013): 5:30-6:30pm. (6week session) CAPPED TO 8 PEOPLE! This is a pre -registered class $90 (gst included)
Fostering teacher / student connection through a progressive class structure. Small class sizes enhance quality of teachings to be received by students, and enhancing teachers ability to attend to each individual student thoughout the class.
A yoga practice focused on flexibility, core strength and balance can be a perfect cross-training platform for the avid cyclist, a regular yoga practise can assist any cyclist to alleviate muscle tightness from logging long hours in the saddle and can aid in preventing cycling related injuries.

In cycling, the quadriceps, hamstrings, and hips never rest. As a result, riders often have overdeveloped quadriceps and tight hamstrings, which can pull the hips out of alignment. Also, a cyclist's spine is constantly flexed forward. If proper form isn't maintained, it can result in muscle pain and strain in the back and shoulders. Yoga helps ease the tightness, creating core strength, and aligning the spine.
Cycling requires not only physical strength, but also intense focus and concentration to succeed on the road. The attention to breath and mind-body connection in yoga can be employed by the cyclist while riding to maintain mental clarity and calmness
Please email or phone Alexandra (yatrayoga at gmail.com)/  to register! Registration deadline: Wednesday, May 29th (2013). .
Please check out their website at  http://www.yatrayoga.ca for more information or join their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/yatrayogastudio .

Our city needs more workshops like these so help me spread the word to ensure increased availability and support for the future.  Happy cycling and Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment